top of page
Ιστορία: About

The Transfiguration of Savior

The church is dedicated to the Transfiguration of the Savior or Saint Savior as it is called and was built in 1893 .
We go back years to the years of Ottoman rule. At that time in Vilia there were three parishes, of Panagitsa with Agios Dimitrios one, of Agios Athanasios the second and of Taxiarches the third. With the liberation from the Turks, the then Ministry of Ecclesiastical and Public Education, ie the current Ministry of Education in 1858, decided that the town of Eidyllia (then the name of Vilia) consisted of only one parish, ie the Brigadiers, and so it was.

The church of Taxiarches pre-existed the church of the Transfiguration Sotiros but after the unification of the parishes in 1858 in the major religious holidays could not serve all the inhabitants of the area of Eidyllia, thus determining the urgent need to build a new church. However, this temple was small in size in relation to the population of the area and thus the need arose to build a new larger temple.
For the construction of the new church, however, money was needed and in fact a lot, which of course was not available to the inhabitants of Vilia during those difficult times. Offers were made from all over Megaridon, Athens and Piraeus, even from Viliotes in America. When the money was raised, the project was taken over by the then leading architect Ernest Ziller . For the construction of the church, two construction sites were set up by order of Ziller and the contractor, for the carving of the stone, one in the old village and the other in the central square, next to the church of Taxiarches, on the divan as it was called then. The Viliotes also took part in the construction works, and especially at the construction site of the square, even women and small children. Of course, there was no water supply network at that time and for the needs of construction, the water was transported by the women from today's Panagitsa and the old fountain (from the current public market). The stone was mined in the old village from the hill on the north side. Workers knocked down the boulders in the church of Agios Georgios where the craftsmen there gave the original form. Then it was transported by Viliotes (from the area of Drestani) with animals and carts to the construction site of the square where the craftsmen gave it the final form. The glossy tiles were transported by cart from Thessaly.

That's how the holy temple of the Transfiguration of the Savior was built, which is of Byzantine style with a height of about 20 meters that stands to this day unchanged in time. We owe the invaluable heritage and ornament of the area, to our Vilian ancestors, who are worthy of admiration.


bottom of page